ἔνθά κεν Ἀργείοισιν ὑπέρμορα νόστος ἐτύχθη [155]
εἰ μὴ Ἀθηναίην Ἥρη πρὸς μῦθον ἔειπεν:
ὢ πόποι αἰγιόχοιο Διὸς τέκος Ἀτρυτώνη,
οὕτω δὴ οἶκον δὲ φίλην ἐς πατρίδα γαῖαν
Ἀργεῖοι φεύξονται ἐπ' εὐρέα νῶτα θαλάσσης,
κὰδ δέ κεν εὐχωλὴν Πριάμῳ καὶ Τρωσὶ λίποιεν [160]
Ἀργείην Ἑλένην, ἧς εἵνεκα πολλοὶ Ἀχαιῶν
ἐν Τροίῃ ἀπόλοντο φίλης ἀπὸ πατρίδος αἴης:
ἀλλ' ἴθι νῦν κατὰ λαὸν Ἀχαιῶν χαλκοχιτώνων:
σοῖς ἀγανοῖς ἐπέεσσιν ἐρήτυε φῶτα ἕκαστον,
μηδὲ ἔα νῆας ἅλα δ' ἑλκέμεν ἀμφιελίσσας. [165]
Translation
And then against the will of fate
the Argives would have made it home,
if Hera hadn’t spoken up:
Alas! Athena, tireless child
of shield-bearing Zeus: so now indeed
the Argives flee across the sea’s
broad back and head for home, toward
their dear paternal lands. They would
leave Argive Helen as a boast
for Priam and the Trojans—her
for whom so many Greeks have died
at Troy, so far away from their
beloved fatherland. Go you
down to the Achaean host, and with
your soothing words restrain each man:
do not let them haul their ships to sea.
Comments
No comments on this short and simple passage. But I do hope that my readers like the new layout of the blog itself. I’ve looked into webhosting options a little bit over the past few days because I wanted a more stripped-down look to go with the stripped-down translation I’m offering. I also wanted to have a proper domain name and so forth. But for the time being I think I’ll stick to what I’ve got going with this new template. The domain name and other things can wait. There is great virtue in simplicity, especially when it comes to websites, which tend to be too cluttered.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment